9: Luke Lappin
November 27th, 2015Play Now
Becoming a programmer in a family of artists, The cultural differences between backend and frontend developers.
Quotes of the night:
- "Take your degree in philosophy and theology, and learn ReactJS and then make 200 million dollars per year."
- "Don't change your life in one weekend, said Luke Lappin, I've done it twice."
- "That's what I really like about computer programming, when you meet the best of the best it's great, when you meet the worst, you just wanna punch them!"
- 1:01 - The Drink
- 3:34 - About Luke
- 9:39 - How did you become a programmer?
- 11:34 - How we met...
- 13:00 - Thoughts on fellow backend developers...
- 14:45 - How about frontend developers?
- 17:41 - How come you haven't jumped on the NodeJS train yet?
- 25:21 - What kind of frontend guy do you like and what kind are you annoyed by?
- 32:03 - Moscow Mule round 2
- 35:43 - The Questionnaire
- 35:49 - If Jesus was a programmer, would he be frontend or backend?
- 36:21 - Would Jesus and Moses be able to work together in a scrum agile team environment?
- 36:36 - Who would be better at writing unit tests, Santa or The Devil?
- 37:31 - If you weren't a programmer, what would you do?
- 42:39 - Why do you think so many companies are paying an arm and a leg for programmers vs. $20/hour offshore developers?
- 47:51 - Coolest thing you worked on?
- 49:24 - Your biggest fuck up?
- 51:10 - Is it a good time to start looking into programming?
- 51:59 - How do you see the future of the web?
- 55:20 - How do you keep up with the industry?
- 56:38 - How can young developers become like Luke Lappin? (And should they?)
- 57:44 - What would you say to the young Luke Lappin?
- 59:49 - Any advise for people who are stuck?
- 1:04:19 - *** SPECIAL BONUS: The Beatles Vocal Harmony ***
- About the guest:
- Luke is the first backend engineer to be on The Drunk Web.
- He has been a Java developer for 10+ years.
- He is a Senior Enterprise Architect at InRhythm
- He was a Technical Architect at Razorfish
- He was a Senior Software Engineer at HBO
- He was a Senior Java Developer / Architect at Hewlett-Packard
- He was a Senior Java/Web Developer at Electronic Data Systems
- He was a Java/Web Developer at Towers Perrin
- Java Java Java Java
- More Java
- Luke Lappin @ LinkedIn