8: John Savarino
November 13th, 2015Play Now
Bengali Tiger Beer
The only real concern with Angular, What it takes to become a programmer, What the hell is a 'brogrammer'.
Quotes of the night:
- "There is peaks and troughs. You never really reach some sort of pinnacle. You always go back and learn more. I think of it as learning to play an instrument. Except this pays!"
- "Just go back and do everything you can to get to the next step and recognize that there is always a next step."
- 00:11 - The Drink
- 00:53 - About John
- 21:10 - What technologies are you using?
- 24:29 - What do you wish was different about Angular?
- 26:33 - The Questionnaire
- 26:51 - If Jesus was a programmer would he be front end or back end and what would be his specialty?
- 27:23 - What do you like to write from scratch?
- 27:51 - Are you a brogrammer?
- 28:19 - If you weren't a programmer what would you do?
- 28:35 - What was your first programming gig?
- 31:10 - What do you wish you were better at?
- 33:20 - What do you hate about the web?
- 35:51 - When was the last time you had a brutal awful miserable interview?
- 36:22 - What's the coolest thing you worked on?
- 37:15 - What's your biggest fuck up of all time?
- 37:58 - Would you encourage people to become programmers?
- 39:09 - How do you see the future of the web?
- 40:12 - How do you keep up with the industry?
- 41:03 - Your experience with CSS Flexbox?
- 41:43 - Consulting vs. full-time?
- 41:55 - How can young developers become like John Savarino?
- 42:43 - What kind of developer do you not like to work with?
- 44:09 - What would you say to the young John Savarino?
- 45:22 - Thoughts on project managers?
- 48:40 - Why is there no picture of you on Google Images?
- About the guest:
- John is a Senior Engineer at ADP innovation lab
- He was a Lead Front End Engineer at Morgan Stanley.
- He was a Senior Front End Engineer at Neosavvy, Inc.
- He was a Senior Front-End Engineer at HBO.
- He was a Lead Front-End Engineer at Time Inc.
- He was a Lead Front-End Engineer at Equinox.
- He was a Front-End Engineer at Roundarch, MRM Worldwide, CoreBrand, Magnify.net and YB Services
- John Savarino @ LinkedIn