7: Oli Griffiths
November 6th, 2015Play Now
Gin & Tonic
Why EmberJS is cool, How to write code that lives for a long time, Component Driven Development, How Facebook and React could change REST APIs.
Quotes of the night:
- "Why are we not versioning HTML? If we had versioning we could make apps and say we support HTML5 or HTML5.1. HTML4 meant more than HTML5 does."
- "Any time that you have any one language to rule them all, you're going to struggle for innovation. You need competition to move things forward."
- "We make mistakes as developers, we don't necessarily always go down the right path. But we try and fail and come up with another idea."
- 00:23 - The Drink
- 01:01 - About Oli
- 37:32 - What do you think about the native vs. web battle?
- 48:46 - Why do you thinkg the British sound smarter?
- 52:30 - Why did you choose Ember or Backbone and Angular?
- 01:21:38 - Is there a chance that web development will become component driven practice with proper versioning?
- 01:24:40 - The Questionnaire
- 01:25:22 - If Jesus was a programmer would he be front end or back end and what language would he be good at?
- 01:26:12 - Why is React famous?
- 01:27:29 - What would you write from scratch?
- 01:28:34 - If you weren't a programmer, what would you be?
- 01:29:20 - What technology do you wish you were better at?
- 01:30:34 - How's programming different now to when you started?
- 01:32:32 - What's the coolest thing you worked on?
- 01:32:55 - What's your biggest fuck up?
- 01:33:31 - Is it a good time to become a programmer?
- 01:33:54 - What's the future of the web?
- 01:35:32 - What technologies are you excited about, as a consumer?
- 01:37:38 - How can young engineers become like Oli Griffiths?
- 01:40:42 - What would you say to the young Oli Griffiths?
- About the guest:
- Oli is a Software engineer at Tumblr.
- He was Head of Mobile at Expand The Room.
- He ran a barcamp at Expand The Room, see here.
- He built the European Music Awards for MTV. It's available on iTunes here.
- He was the Lead Developer and Technical Director at Organic Development.
- Oli's Website
- Oli Griffiths @ LinkedIn