6: Charles Fulnecky
October 29, 2015Play Now
History of XSLT and AJAX, AngularJS vs. ReactJS, Where the web is headed, How the web is modularizing, How to best utilize the available web technologies and be a contributing member of the community.
Quotes of the night:
- "Everyone thinks we are supposed to be these mathematically inclined tech nerds, but by and large we are all frustrated artists. Code is a virtual extension of art."
- "We developers get into our code cave and then we have to come out and talk to real people and articulate what we're trying to do and it's just so hard sometimes."
- "All of these frameworks out there are there to fill in deficiencies in browsers. However, as the browsers start to incorporate all of these features, it's a stopgap."
- "When people aren't happy with you, you just have to step back and stay on message."
- "It's really about keeping your ego in check. If you are one of those strong leaders that people just follow, go for it because that works too. But for me it's about the team."
- 01:33 - The Drink
- 02:32 - About Charles
- 39:05 - Charlie minored in theater?
- 41:00 - Charlie ran for office?
- 42:33 - The Questionnaire
- 43:08 - If aliens came to earth and asked to see our best programming language, what should we show them?
- 44:08 - AngularJS vs. ReactJS
- 55:02 - Why is Angular successful?
- 56:48 - Why is React successful?
- 57:44 - What would you write from scratch?
- 1:00:15 - If you weren't a programmer, what would you be?
- 1:03:00 - What do you wish you knew?
- 1:03:29 - What sucks about the web?
- 1:05:35 - How's tech different now to when you started?
- 1:10:07 - What's the coolest thing you worked on?
- 1:11:03 - What's your biggest fuck up?
- 1:12:26 - Is it a good time to start programming?
- 1:13:58 - How do you see the future of the web?
- 1:18:05 - How can young developers become like Uncle Charlie?
- 1:19:38 - What do you attribute your success to?
- 1:24:19 - What would you say to the young Charles Fulnecky?
- About the guest:
- Charles is a Web Architect at HBO.
- He was a Web Consultant at Morgan Stanley.
- He was a Senior Creative Engineer at Digitas where he took over the lead GUI architect role in the early development stage of an Agile Mobile Web project for American Express, seamlessly adapting to as well as championing and extending the existing micro-framework based architecture.
- He was a Senior Software Architect at Technodyne.
- He was a Senior Software Architect at Scientific Research Corporation
- He was a Senior Software Engineer at Joint Test & Evaluation Program Office
- He was a Senior Software Engineer at BAE Systems Information Technology
- He was a Software Engineer at Science Applications International Corporation
- He was a Programmer at Collins Engineers, Inc.
- The list goes on and on...
- Charles Fulnecky @ LinkedIn