14: Chris 'Max' Mathers
April 29th, 2016Play Now
Absinthe Verte, Hakushu Japanese Whiskey, Caol Ila
How to get rich writing CSS. Why Flexbox exists and why it rules. A case for CSS Tables. How not to be hated by JS developers and visuals designers. And the future of CSS.
Quotes of the night:
- "It's not good enough to know how to Float something Right."
- "The most frustrating thing for anybody that has a high level of expectation about the fidelity of the rendered page to the comps is when some people just say “Good enough”."
- "Because of the inconsistencies of the browsers and how they happen to render a page, the browser might decide to barf all over you. You have to figure out what it wants… like any relationship."
- "[When writing CSS] having a one-off page is dangerous because you have to maintain a one-off. The user is probably not going to know what he is seeing but he is going to detect inconsistencies."
- "The web standards have always been what Microsoft decides to support."
- "Tables are not evil, the reason that they became evil is because we got a solution so that we didn’t have to use tables for layout… and because of the whole way browsers render nested tables."
- 2:18 - The Drank
- 3:51 - About Chris
- 9:21 - What was the world like before CSS?
- 13:37 - How did you decide you wanted to style the web?
- 16:41 - What are your frustrations when working on large teams?
- 33:40 - How to avoid font issues?
- 38:20 - How do you make a good living out of CSS?
- 39:45 - Why do so many good developers hate CSS?
- 46:15 - Thoughts on Flexbox?
- 53:03 - Tables, should we use them?
- 57:00 - How to create scalable CSS codebase?
- 1:02:33 - Starting tomorrow morning all browsers will support Flexbox, but Ted Cruz is president, good deal?
- 1:04:05 - Which celebrity would you pick to teach CSS?
- 1:04:57 - Who is better at CSS layout, Bernie or Hilary?
- 1:05:55 - If HTML and CSS were a married couple, who would file for divorce?
- 1:06:20 - If there's a single browser in heaven, what is it called?
- 1:06:50 - If you weren't a web styler, what would you do for a living?
- 1:07:20 - What do you suck at?
- 1:07:33 - Coolest thing you worked on?
- 1:07:38 - Greatest fuck up?
- 1:08:20 - As a consumer of technology what are you excited about?
- 1:10:24 - What is the future of CSS?
- 1:11:40 - Advise for young developers?
- 1:15:58 - Outro
- About the guest:
- Chris is 'THE CSS GUY' everyone knows and loves.
- He is a frontend developer at Bloomberg.
- He was a frontend developer at HBO.
- He was a frontend developer at Roundarch.
- He was a frontend developer at TheStreet.com
- He went to Manhattan school of music.
- He toured around the world playing double bass for a musical theater with Richard Chamberlain.
- He was also my bass player but he's moving to London so whatever...
- Oh yeah and he looks like Ronald Reagan!
- Chris 'Max' Mathers @ LinkedIn