11: Patrick Mowrer
December 24th, 2015Play Now
The startup world. Code quality and standards vs. urgency and business needs. The problem with boilerplate and scaffolding tools. Thoughts on IKEA Swedish meatballs.
Quotes of the night:
- "I think Jesus would struggle with CSS. There's nobody who doesn't struggle with CSS. It's a mess."
- "When you learn you should have the minimum amount of information necessary and not a whole ton of configuration that you might not even need, then you have no clue what's really going on."
- "Our industry is becoming so complicated, in not only frontend but also backend, that all these things are becoming such big animals on their own that trying to strive in all of them is more than you can chew."
- 0:45 - The Drink
- 3:22 - About Patrick
- 13:50 - What's up with Updater?
- 17:50 - Biggest technical challenge at Updater?
- 20:14 - How did you decide to become a programmer?
- 22:12 - Cheers to Patrick's Dad!
- 31:46 - Cazerac round 3!
- 32:45 - Do you consider yourself successful?
- 33:27 - What do you attribute your success to?
- 43:10 - The Questionnaire
- 43:54 - Who writes better unit tests? Gandhi or Donald Trump?
- 44:48 - If Jesus was a programmer, would he be frontend of backend?
- 45:26 - If you had to name your child after a programming language or framework, what would it be?
- 46:49 - If you were allergic to monitors, what would you do for a living?
- 47:35 - What do you suck at?
- 48:05 - What do you wish you were better at?
- 49:09 - What sucks about the web?
- 50:22 - Is it a good time to become a programmer?
- 51:32 - How do you keep up with the industry?
- 52:20 - Why do I feel extreme happiness after eating Swedish meatballs at IKEA?
- 53:02 - Advise for the young Patrick?
- 53:56 - How can young developers become like Patrick?
- 1:03:10 - Visa pattarna!
- 1:05:40 - *** A special message from Sweden ***
- About the guest:
- Patrick is the Lead Frontend Engineer at Updater.
- He was the Lead Developer at SPORTS195.
- He was a Senior Software Engineer at YouNow.
- He was a Lead Application Developer at Tinychat.
- He was a Flex Developer at HBO.
- He was a Quality Engineer at Adobe.
- He was a Founding member of Aloha Charity.
- He is from Sweden and is not mad at me for thinking IKEA food is good.
- Patrick Mowrer @ LinkedIn