10: Adam Parrish
December 17th, 2015Play Now
2012 Bogle Phantom California Wine
A guaranteed fix for the broken interview process. What it's like to start your own software company. How to make the world's greatest beet salad.
Quotes of the night:
- "You learn that as you've got code in production, once you birth this thing, it comes back and is like 'yo daddy, I lost a tooth, my arm is broken'."
- "My least favorite part of web development these days is that it just seems like there are a lot of know-it-alls that don't want to listen to the fact that people have solved a few of these problems before. I have contributed to that. I have been that know-it-all and I'm starting to recognize that pattern."
- "It's OK to kind of complain about the problem but at some point you're just like "Look, the business wants us to make this work and they don't really give a shit about how many foreign keys the database has to have to make this happen. Just suck it up. Make it work"."
- "Another aspect of experience is you need to recognize problems that you don't want to know anything about. You just go "I don't want to wash those dishes man. You should probably find somebody else"."
- 1:03 - The Drink
- 3:38 - About Adam
- 8:46 - What did you learn at IBM as a software tester?
- 14:37 - What made you want to become a programmer?
- 24:39 - What technologies are you using right now?
- 37:23 - How we met...
- 50:57 - What gives you an edge as a programmer/business owner?
- 54:00 - Snack time a.k.a munchies!!!
- 57:54 - The Questionnaire
- 58:55 - If Jesus was a programmer, what kind of programmer would he be?
- 1:00:47 - What would Jesus think of ReactJS?
- 1:02:02 - Who would be better at writing Unit Tests, Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders?
- 1:08:40 - What is it with you and automation?
- 1:12:56 - If you weren't a programmer, what would you dO
- 1:13:22 - *** BONUS: How to make the world's greatest beet salad. ***
- 1:15:21 - What do you think sucks about the web industry?
- 1:18:54 - How is software development different to beet farming?
- 1:20:16 - What's the coolest thing you worked on?
- 1:23:07 - Your greatest fuck up?
- 1:24:50 - Is it a good time to become a programmer?
- 1:27:08 - As a business owner, how do you keep up with the industry?
- 1:33:28 - Advise for the young Adam Parrish?
- About the guest:
- Adam is the Founder of and a Managing Partner at Neosavvy Inc.
- He is also the Founder of TiltNYC
- He was a Software Developer at Morgan Stanley.
- He was a Client Side Software Developer at HBO.
- He was a Senior Consultant at Roundarch.
- He was a Software Engineer at Motricity.
- He was a Scala Backend Engineer at Sneeky / Shoutout
- He was a Software Tester at IBM.
- He is a food fanatic, grills and smokes meat in his NYC backyard (really).
- He and I just became friends again after 3 years so that's cool.
- Adam Parrish @ LinkedIn